Spotlight on Foreign Languages
One of the main components of Peace Corps service is learning another language. Peace Corps Volunteers learn local languages such as Paraguay's Guaraní and widely used languages such as Mandarin Chinese. To prepare them for this challenge, the Peace Corps has prepared foreign language podcasts for its trainees. World Wise Schools is making these available to you so you can learn like a Peace Corps Volunteer.
Learn a LanguageMany Volunteers learn a language spoken by hundreds of millions of people. Learn something about a few such languages just as Peace Corps Volunteers do:
World Wise Reading—Thoughts on Language Learning
- “Language Lessons and Flying Canoes ,” by Shawn Davis. Listen to the podcast.
- “Language and Identity in Narva, Estonia,” by Amy Maraney
- “Language Learning Growing Pains,” by Keba Fitzgerald
- “How Does One Spell Happiness in Paraguay?” by Jane Troxell
- “Enough to Make Your Head Spin,” by Elizabeth (Vernon) Kelley