WebQuest worksheet (click to download)
1. Using the links below, learn more about the global issue of educating girls. Why is this issue important? What are some possible challenges? What are some successful ways people are helping girls receive an education?
Page #1 of the WebQuest worksheet will help guide you through this process.
- The Girl Effect
- Voices of Youth
- Oxfam (Oxford Committee for Famine Relief)
- The United Nations Girls Education Initiative
2. Visit the success stories from the following countries.
Use page #2 of the WebQuest worksheet.
(the link for Kenya takes a moment to load and open)
3. Experience firsthand what life is like in a village where community members disagree on the importance of educating girls. Begin your Peace Corps service by playing the Peace Corps Challenge - Educating Village Girls.
To be successful, you will need to use the information you have learned so far in this WebQuest and the input from community members you encounter in the game. Keep in mind that not all education takes place within the walls of a school. Your recommendation will need to be acceptable to community elders and will need to provide educational opportunities for village girls.
Click Image to begin
4. Finally, your own story is important. Write a summary describing what your experience was like playing the role of a Peace Corps Volunteer in the Peace Corps Challenge.
Share your thoughts on what you felt as you encountered community members. What were some of the reasons people in Wanzuzu supported and opposed educating girls? Which reasons did you most strongly agree and disagree with? Why would community members react in the way they did? Why did you feel the recommendation you gave was the best one? What do you think should have happened? How would you feel if this was the situation in your community?