Another issue you face in the workplace is dealing with some of the impressions your colleagues and counterparts have of Americans. Whether or not you actually contribute to these notions by your own behavior and whether or not you think they are fair or accurate, you can expect to run up against them.
|Below each of the eight common observations that follow, write a brief comment about why you think host country people might feel this way:
1. Why are you Americans always in such a hurry to get things done?
2. Why do you Americans insist on treating everyone the same?
3. Why do you Americans always have to say what you're thinking?
4. Why do you Americans always want to change things?
5. Why don't you Americans show more respect for your seniors and elders?
6. Why do you Americans always think things are going to get better?
7. Why are you Americans so concerned about individual recognition?
8. Why are you Americans so impatient?